Friday, January 10, 2014

Bless the Simple Things





“I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be CONTENT. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance. I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” 
Philippians 4:10-13

           
            An 80 year old man reminded me of how truly blessed I am, as I watched him clean his “cement mixture” with a stick and water while sitting in a chair provided by him. His kind heart astonished me, he had opened up his house to two strangers my host sister and I. He allowed us to use his immaculate outhouse that had been built solely by him. In its pristine qualities you could see his pride in all the work he had completed. From his house, to the outhouse, the shed in the back, and the new wall he was building around the yard. All were clean cut and spectacular, and built only by him. Before we left, he motioned for my host sister and I to follow him along a narrow path. When we reached the top of a small hill and looked over we discovered a glorious site. The mountains and fields were luscious with green and rich in brown from the soil. As we left I thanked him in Se Sutu (the language). But it was more than that; with the language barrier aside the gentle smile and warmhearted greeting meant so much to me. As I looked back, I was hit by the reality that I take for granted what I have. This generous man opened his house for strangers, and yet I cannot even do that. He smiled over the little things such as showing a beautiful site to two young girls. He taught me a very valuable lesson that day, to appreciate the little things.   


            Whistle, stop, clap, yell, move your body, and jump, rings out among the village. A joyous time is about to happen! I was not sure at the time, but then my host sister grabbed me and said “Dance! We go dance!” And so we headed down to the river and to my astonishment I had walked into a dance party. Kids of all ages were jumping around; also a group of girls were doing dance numbers all to the pounding beats in the background. As the night crept up on us the numbers increased, the laughter grew, the dances became crazier and spirits higher. It was a blissful evening that I will hold onto. I did not care about what I looked like, or how crazy I was dancing. The sweet innocent smiles of the children will always be a lovely picture in my mind. As I twirled a little girl around I prayed that she would grow up to be a Godly women, that one day she would hear and know the love of Christ. When I looked into a little boys eyes and saw the sleepiness take over his soul, I prayed that he would have a goodnights rest. And I prayed that he would grow up to be a Godly man to serve the household. The children are the future and the joy their exuberance restores my soul, but it also makes me hope and pray for them. That their energy and love will never die out, that they will one day hear about the one true God and they will love the Lord with all their heart mind and soul! This is my prayer for the future.



Radiant smiles beamed from the overjoyed children in the village. The exhilarating energy that flowed from them bled into you. It was amazing seeing them, running along the road, playing games, or singing. The energy of the entire village was uplifting though. The times when we had ‘dance parties’ I know the locals would laugh at me until their stomachs hurt, but there I was dancing my heart out. Trying to learn new dances, and it was not easy but many relationships were built off of that time. One of the most challenging things I learned how to do, but I got down, was carrying water on my head. Let me tell you that was really difficult! But I was quite ecstatic once I got it down! I learned many more things in the village, by walking with the people, talking to them, learning Se Sutu (their language), singing with them. In the 2 weeks I was there I probably met almost everyone in the village, which was amazing to me. I learned how to build relationships in non-verbal ways, because most of the people did not speak English. So dancing and singing was the most common. I was elated that the people were so happy to greet me during the day. My lesson was learned, and I tried to live it out as best as I could. 
            A brisk breeze flutters across my face as I sit on the front porch of my house. Swirls of smoke surround me, gorgeous mountains encompass me, and a vivacious 3 year old attacks me. This is my home, Holloh, a splendid little piece of glory that I got to experience for 2 weeks. The luscious, mountainous, harmonious village was such a wonderful home. Every morning the Me’s (elderly women) would greet me as children would run by waving back at me. The sweet little 3 year old, ‘Tablilang, was my host sister’s little sister. She was the most adorable thing ever. Her radiating smile and abounding laughter brightened my day! If there was an award for the most BEAST toddler it would be her. She could climb mountains barefoot, carry water buckets and more I was highly impressed. The fondest memory I have of her is the last night when I was there and we were sitting down eating dinner. And she had a little bowl of cheese snacks and she kept on giving me a little at a time. Her sweet smile illuminated the dark room that night, but so did her heart. In that moment her innocent heart taught a valuable lesson. Even though she did not have much she was giving me some. I appreciated it so much and I would not have felt the same way 2 weeks before, I had learned a lot in the 2 weeks I had spent in Holloh. I am so blessed, to have running water and electricity that I do not even think about the many tasks they offer. I am so blessed and I did not even know, God seriously opened my eyes.

            As the cool wind refreshed my weltered body, I enjoyed God’s splendid masterpiece of glistening waterfalls cascading down into the cool river that ran into the rich and luscious fields of Holloh. I am at peace, sweet serenity succumbs my body and I am restored as I stand atop a mountain. Alongside me is my host sister, Emily, Shane, Paseka, and ‘Tabesang. We had made it, our journey was complete, and the mountain was conquered. God in that moment answered the word I he had given to me in Namibia, restoration. As the powerful winds beat upon my body I laid back on the rock and closed my heavy eyes, and my strength was returned. Not just physically, but mentally and spiritually. God had upheld his promise, what a perfect moment.  
             
            It’s the little things I remember the most, the things that matter the most to me. I used to believe that it was all about the big projects. That is what missions were all about. Go build a house and come home, but I was so miss guided. It is about the simple things in life, the small things that matter. What do we cherish the most in our lives? Most of the time it’s a relationship, and if we ask an item it might end up being a small item. For me I cherish my relationship with my fiancé, mom, and God. And if it were to be an item it would be a small teddy bear I got as a child. Little things. Or moments. I started to notice that as the trip progressed God really rocked my views and opened my eyes. I am so blessed and I have what I need. I am not in want, I am blessed with so much and yet I am unhappy. But then look at this family who has nothing literally a mud hut, 1 field, a few dishes and they are in good spirits all the time. I had to take a step back, because of the conviction I felt in my heart. Then I began to enjoy the small things: the dances, songs, cooking over the fire, sitting down and having a conversation in broken English for about an hour, and building relationships without words. These are the things to hold on. Small events, relationships, simple things, bless them because many times they are simply forgotten by society.  

No comments:

Post a Comment