Saturday, July 20, 2013

Rhonda's love

    Dust blowing in my face, sweat rolling down my back as I look at what lies before me. A majestic masterpiece, one that has not been touched by any excavators. It still stands there in natural beauty for people to visit, not an amusement park. The Navajo Indian Ruins, so much history lies in those dusty orange rocks. As we explore the beauty that lies in front of us, broken pottery is apparent to all of us. The vibrant colors still on the pieces and the intricate designs displayed for observers to admire at.  
    As we began to climb the sun scorched rocks, we came across a cool and dense cave. As I crawled through the slim entrance into the dark hub, I could see and feel the craftsmanship. The fingerprints from the inhabitants who once lived in the cave. I wondered how long it took them to build it, and how many lived there. I was just truly amazed. As we continued onwards higher to the top of the ruins Rhonda, a wonderful amazing Godly woman who I can not even just describe in this blog I could write so many blogs about her, (which I will speak about her later)! Showed us another "cave". 
    When I looked down all I saw was a little hole in the rocks, I did not believe there was a cave down there. Little did I know, of course I would try to question someone who lives on the Res and who was showing us all around the ruins. But me being an adventurer. I slithered my body down the tiny long drop, definitely longer than what I thought it was going to be. But once I got to the bottom I looked up into God's glory and was amazed. I felt so small and as I reached up to grab my camera all I could see was the blue sky and clouds and I thought. Some people's view of Christ is like that, so small. Just like a peephole a sliver, and they are ok with that. They have no idea how glorious he is. As I crawled through the chilly and dusty cave, I thought about how hard the journey is I got scraped up some, and was quite uncomfortable at times but then... I was awestruck by the vast opening at the end. There was a window, maybe once a door, that overlooked the whole land! That is how the view of Christ needs to be!!! Fully immersed in his love! Knowing all his goodness, not just 1 part because that is when confusion and doubt seep in. To see the bright blue sky and the fluffy white clouds, and to think that surrounding us were flat plains. Wow!!! GOD IS AWESOME!!!! 
   To know that he bestowed the knowledge upon the Navajo's so long ago, and that the land has be preserved for so long and that it has not been touched and is still sacred. The interesting this is that the Navajos will not go out there though, the traditional ones though. Because they think it is the place of the dead and if they go out there then it will bring sickness and cursing on the family. 
    The traditions that still lie with the people, are an inhibiting factor to what Rhonda and her husband Leroy have been working on out there. 8 years ago God called them back to the Res. Rhonda's father was a missionary out there, and she thought she would never go back. And Leroy had lived there when he was younger, he is full blooded Navajo, but had moved away and was raised away from the Res. But God called them to start a church and bring Christ to the people and not only that but to reach out! Bringing in teams to help the locals, with building projects and other needs, but in the same time getting to know the people. 
    In our time out there with this sweet and wonderful lady she taught us about the culture, some of the language, songs, and showed us around the Res, and opened up her church for us to stay in. Going to church and sitting down with the people was an AMAZING experience! To sing with them, in Navajo was AWSOME! To see the joy and the difference in the people we saw every time we were at the church. Just made me filled with true joy. And made it even harder to say goodbye. 
    God is doing some great things out there. He is working in so many lives! And I will pray for the ministry and Rhonda and Leroy and for all the people on the Res!! I hope that y'all do too!!! 

1 comment: